The idea was born in the winter of 2011/2012 with the anonymous installation of a curious nativity scene in the woods overlooking the small town of Zanolin. The following year the initiative expands and involves the inhabitants of the hamlet and the village in an ever wider way. The route finds its definitive and current development along the paths of the Cavelonte woods and the number of cribs increases with each edition. All the works are characterized by the maximum freedom of preparation, not necessarily according to the classical schemes of the nativity, but leaving the field free for the imagination and interpretation of any symbol that recalls Christmas.
The result is a real open-air exhibition, with the special participation of children from the nursery and primary schools of Ziano di Fiemme.
Each edition brings with it some novelties: a new corner of the forest transformed into a hut of roots and branches, a row of trees studded with stars, small miniature gems hanging from the branches or real art installations that merge and blend with the nature. While visiting the path every year, you can never predict where the next nativity scene is hiding!
The nativity at the start of the path near the fountain is very particular: it consists of various figures made by different people, and represents the spirit of the Nativity Scenes in the Wood: a collective initiative that, with imagination and creativity, gives life to this "winter magic", with works of all kinds, the result of laborious projects or simple ideas, each one special in its own way.
The route remains set up throughout the winter, thus providing the perfect opportunity to walk on an otherwise little-known itinerary.
At the beginning of the route you will find all the useful information for the walk, the stroller is not recommended.
Experience walking along irregular mountain trails is recommended. It may happen that the path is not clear form snow. In the event of fresh snow, microspikes are recommended. Be careful of ice when temperatures are particularly low.
Tips and hints
For those arriving from the SS 48, from the church square take Via Roma and cross the bridge over the Avisio. At the roundabout take the second street on the right (Via Zanolin) or the third (Via Bosin).
For those arriving from the SP 232, take the exit for Ziano di Fiemme and continue along Via Stazione. At the roundabout, take the first or second street on the right.
ParkingIn Zanolin there is a small parking lot just before the start of the route. Alternatively, there are two other large car parks, one in Via Bosin, in front of the fire station (3 minutes from the starting point), the other in Via Stazione, in front of the sports field (5 minutes from the starting point).
EquipmentHiking boots and warm clothes.
Basic Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Hiking poles fitted with snow baskets
- Trail ‘spike’ crampons at minimum and a basic ice axe are recommended when covering steeper terrain
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.