It was a very harsh winter in 1915, which saw the Italian and Austrian troops confront each other in the conquest of this symbolic peak. The bitter battles ended only in August 1916, leaving on its slopes galleries, wooden barracks, walkways, stone stairs, gunner posts, barbed wire and guard posts. It is on this historical heritage that the excursion along the "Via Austriaca" develops, a stony mule track sometimes ruined by the falling rocks over the years. The itinerary is quite demanding and long, at the beginning on roads that then become steep paths and passages on porphyritic rocks where you have to pay attention. The summit cross rises between the huge boulders and hollows created by the explosion of the bombs.
There is a source where to refuel water, immediately after Pian delle Maddalene, at an altitude of 1800 meters.
For the more experienced we recommend to reache Passo Sadole, follow the signs for the Italian way and, after reaching the top, descend on the Austrian way.
Rest stopsMalga Sàdole
Piccolo Museo della Guerra alla Baita Monte Cauriol
THE 10 RULES FOR HIKERS
- Prepare your itinerary beforehand
- Choose an itinerary that suits your physical abilities
- Choose suitable clothes and equipment
- Check the weather forecast
- Hiking by yourself is more risky; if this is the case, take a mobile phone with you
- Leave information about your itinerary and your expected return time
- If you are not sure about your itinerary, contact an Alpine Guide
- Pay attention to signposts and directions that you find along your way
- Do not hesitate in going back if you feel too tired
- In case of emergency call 112
Please note that the practicability of the itineraries in a mountain environment is strictly linked to the contingent conditions and is therefore influenced by natural phenomena, environmental changes and weather conditions. For this reason, the information contained in this page may have changed. Before leaving for a tour, make sure the path you will approach is still accessible by contacting the owner of the mountain hut, the alpine guides or the visitor centres of the nature parks, the info offices of the local tourist board.
Tips and hints
Getting thereFrom Ziano di Fiemme drive to Sadole (Rifugio Cauriol and Malga Sadole). In July and August you have to stop 400 m earlier.
ParkingJust before Cauriol hut (July and August 400 metres before).
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentHiking shoes, rain-jacket, hiking poles, water, sun cream
- 4 Waypoints
- 4 Waypoints