Along the shores of Lago Santo
APT Val di Fiemme Verified partner Explorers Choice
Total immersion in nature in all its elements is what this excursion mainly offers, which is particularly suitable for the more adventurous children.
The combination of fauna and flora together with the splendid site of Lago Santo create the perfect conditions for a magnificent walk. This marvellous setting opens up at an altitude of 1,200 metres in the watershed basin created by millennial glacial erosion of porphyry. The route follows a loop around the perimeter of the lake, which offers short stretches of natural beach, plenty of peace, nature and clean air to take in, especially if you are arriving from the cities.The name 'Santo' comes from a local legend that says that once upon a time, where the lake now stands, there was a piece of land that was the subject of fierce disputes between the heirs, so much so that one of them, exasperated, wished that it would become a lake. From that moment on, water began to rise from underground, threatening the neighbouring village of Cembra. The townspeople, worried, went on a pilgrimage to the ground and when the parish priest threw the ring of the Madonna into it, the water stopped. Since then, the place has been called the Holy Lake.
A stop at the nearby Lago Santo restaurant for a taste of traditional delicacies is recommended.
THE 10 RULES FOR HIKERS
- Prepare your itinerary beforehand
- Choose an itinerary that suits your physical abilities
- Choose suitable clothes and equipment
- Check the weather forecast
- Hiking by yourself is more risky; if this is the case, take a mobile phone with you
- Leave information about your itinerary and your expected return time
- If you are not sure about your itinerary, contact an Alpine Guide
- Pay attention to signposts and directions that you find along your way
- Do not hesitate in going back if you feel too tired
- In case of emergency call 112
Tips and hints
Ufficio Turistico Cembra - Tel. +39 0461 683110 - firstname.lastname@example.org – www.visitvaldicembra.it
Park in the car park next to the lake and walk down the little path onto the grassy beach. Follow the gravel path around the water basin in one direction or the other.
Sneakers or hiking shoes, waterproof jacket, water, snack and sun cream.
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Help others by being the first to add a review.
Photos from others