Malga Sass welcomes you with its outdoor wooden tables, after driving the road that from Valfloriana climbs gradually steeper and narrower.
On foot, in about half an hour, you reach "Pradi da le Fior", a mountain pasture that preserves an exceptional view of Val di Fiemme, from the town of Le Ville (Carano, Daiano, Varena) up to Corno Nero and Pala di Santa peaks. Located at 2000 meters, it is an authentic flowered balcony, full of flowers, surrounded by rhododendrons, where everything invites you to a picnic break. You are at the highest point of the itinerary; the walk then proceeds slightly up and down to Malga Coston, the historic Valfloriana pasture, now renovated, dating back to the early 1800s. Finally, the path leads back to Malga Sass.
THE 10 RULES FOR HIKERS
- Prepare your itinerary beforehand
- Choose an itinerary that suits your physical abilities
- Choose suitable clothes and equipment
- Check the weather forecast
- Hiking by yourself is more risky; if this is the case, take a mobile phone with you
- Leave information about your itinerary and your expected return time
- If you are not sure about your itinerary, contact an Alpine Guide
- Pay attention to signposts and directions that you find along your way
- Do not hesitate in going back if you feel too tired
- In case of emergency call 112
Please note that the practicability of the itineraries in a mountain environment is strictly linked to the contingent conditions and is therefore influenced by natural phenomena, environmental changes and weather conditions. For this reason, the information contained in this page may have changed. Before leaving for a tour, make sure the path you will approach is still accessible by contacting the owner of the mountain hut, the alpine guides or the visitor centres of the nature parks, the info offices of the local tourist board.
Tips and hints
Getting thereFrom Cavalese drive direction Sover and Segonzano. After 13 km, in the village of Casatta, turn left and drive up for 10 km until you reach Malga Sass.
ParkingYou find parking at Malga Sass.
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentHiking shoes, rain-jacket, hiking poles, water, sun cream
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.